Friday, April 30, 2010

Been So Long, acrylic, paper, fabric on canvas 36 x 48 in. (2010)

Thank You, Baby - 36 x 48 in. acrylic, paper on canvas (2010)

Meteors, 48 x 60 in. acrylic, paper on canvas (2010)

Leonard Bernstein once stated that a-tonal music is irritating. I understand if an artist wants to explore - like putting unexpected herbs with a fish. But, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work! You are what you eat and what you take in, whether it be sounds, sights or smells. This then molds you. Art has to go deep. I often wonder when people are exposed to great art, does it make a difference or impact them? Like a medicine, if it has no effect, what is the point? Art is representative of the spirit. As my beloved mentor Oskar Kokoschka once said, "Man is not born human, he has to become humanized." In the world of art, I believe I can be of service. As Kokoschka said, "You need the experience." In other words, you need to cross over. What am I expressing in my art? What experience do I want to convey to the viewer? Essentially, I am just wanting to share my enthusiasm and exuberance about being alive!